Saturday, May 11, 2013

Mother's Day Gift #2: A Recipe Book ... Kind Of.

This was one of my favorite projects with my Pre-K students. During circle time, I asked each child to tell me their favorite food, and then asked them to think about how they think it's made. After circle time, the students drew a picture of said favorite food. I then went to each child individually and asked them to tell me how they thought their favorite food was made. I asked them what they thought they needed to make it as well as what were the steps to make it. I wrote everything down, typed up the "recipes", and paired the picture with the recipes.


I then spent a very, very, very long evening at FedEx, making copies, three-hole punching papers, and assembling the "cookbooks" you see up there. They were the "Tried & True Recipes: Written and Illustrated by Miss Abby's Pre-K Class".


If you are a father, this can easily be done with just your child or children. Simply spend a little time each day talking about some of the favorite meals they have at dinner, and ask them to tell you how they think they're made. The answers are oftentimes hilarious. While I don't have a picture of it, below is one of my favorite recipes:


Macaroni & Cheese

Ingredients:
- A Box of Mac and Cheese
- That's it. You don't need anything else. Just a box of Mac and Cheese.


Mommy puts the box into the pot and stirs it with a really big spoon. When the smoke comes out of it, you know it's done. Mommy dumps everything into the sink and then puts it on our plate. Sometimes Daddy calls a pizza. I like pizza, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

09 10 11 12
Blogging tips