Friday, May 24, 2013

Photo Friday: The Boston Memorial

Ever since the bombing, I've been itching to return to my city. Unfortunately, with work, modeling, and house hunting, my schedule has been packed to the gills. I finally caught a chance to spend at least a few hours in my city last Sunday morning, as I had a photoshoot that afternoon at UMass Boston.


I decided to do what I used to do every single day: put on my headphones and walk. I was flooded with intense nostalgia, walking down Mass Ave and Huntington and Newbury St, just like I did for years and years. The sun was out, the weather was perfect. It was an amazing day to be back in my city.


When I thought I was ready, I made my way down another familiar street: Boylston. For those who aren't familiar with Boston or the Boston Marathon, the finish line is on Boylston St, right before Copley Square. While the streets have been open for over a month now, there is still a memorial in Copley Square.


I knew it would be emotionally intense, going down Boylston, walking past where the bombs went off, and visiting the memorial. But I didn't know how intense it was going to be for me. I found comfort in the fact that I wasn't the only one choking back tears, or hiding behind her sunglasses when the tears came forth. However, I was crying partly because of that comfort in others: the endless array of gifts and tribute really showed the solidarity between all of us. We are all in this together -- something that we easily forget, going through our day-to-day lives.


Visiting the memorial was definitely a cathartic experience. It was so wonderful being back in my city, and paying tribute to those we lost, as well as those who stepped up to save the day.






















































No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

09 10 11 12
Blogging tips