Thursday, March 14, 2013

Pinterest Fail: Cherry Blossoms Out of the Bottom of a Soda Bottle

I knew this wasn't going to work, but I wanted to try it anyway.


To be honest, I'm a little shocked with the outcome. Not what I was expecting.


So, for this gem, you dip the bottom of a liter bottle of soda into paint, and proceed to make cherry blossom stamps. Since canvases were $2 a pop at Michaels, I decided to get real fancy with this project.


Now, I was expecting a huge mess. What I got instead were little circles. No matter what I tried, or how much paint I used.


I even tried it on a harder surface than the canvas to see if that was the variable that was screwing everything else. And still -- little circles.


However, this is one failed project that I was able to save pretty easily. Using those little circles as a base, I simply painted in the rest of the "flower" -- probably what the original poster did, to be honest.


Even though it's not an authentic "soda bottle bottom cherry blossom", it's still quite pretty. I added "cherry blossom" in Japanese Nanji because -- hey, why not? A little something to make it mine.

5 comments:

  1. hi, having looked at your original source of inspiration it seems to me that you were using the wrong size bottle. The original design uses a two litre bottle, yours is much too small. Hope you have better luck next time x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is actually a 2 liter bottle -- the lens just gives a weird fish-eye look, making the bottle look smaller.

      Delete
  2. yeah I read the same thing on the original posting. 2 litre bottle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried this with a 2 liter bottle of coke, and it worked ok. I didn't make art out of it, just wanted to see if it would work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you should have thinned the paint with a bit of water

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

09 10 11 12
Blogging tips