Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Try it Tuesday: Coconut Oil Hair Treatment


I'm skeptical about a lot of hair treatments. Mayonnaise, grease, raw egg… Y'know, I want healthy hair, not salmonella. But I do have fragile, brittle hair, making it impossible to get any longer than just passed my collarbones. While I fully recognize that genetics are the biggest factor when it comes to hair length (I know a girl who has hair all the way down to her butt, and she uses clearance Suave), I wanted to try something to at least keep it a little more soft and a little less dry.

I had heard about the wonders of coconut oil, but it wasn't until I found some on sale, in bulk, at Costco, that I finally decided to try it.

The results are great. When I actually get into the routine of treating my hair once a week, my hair comes out stronger, smoother, silkier…however, some things to consider when using coconut oil:

1) Use a little at a time. I made the mistake of grabbing a huge chunk of it with my first go-around. Not only is this stuff messy, but it is hard as nails when cooled. The trick is to take a small dollop -- really, no bigger than a dime -- rub it between your palms, and smooth it into your hair. It's a long process, but so is washing away the oil stain on the wall behind you.

2) If you have thin hair, use shampoo when you wash it out. The greatest irony is that fine/thin hair needs the most amount of conditioning, but is weighed down the easiest by conditioner. Wash out the coconut oil, wash your hair, rinse, wash your hair a second time, condition as usual.

3) Your hands will get as greasy as your hair, so use gloves. Or, you can be like me and just wash your hands with a lot of soap. Either way, get ready for a layer of oil on your hands.

1 comment:

  1. This is my favorite oil to use. I use it on my hair, skin, nails, and I have prepared some smoothies using it. It's great after taking a shower, when your skin is still a bit damp. It makes my skin incredibly soft, and I love the scent.Jamaican Black Castor Oil

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

09 10 11 12
Blogging tips