Now, this should've been a simple dress. A simple, simple, simple dress. A simple, simple, simple pattern for a simple, simple, simple dress.
And it was: Take a yard of fabric, cut it into 4 long rectangles, sew it all together (save for arms and head), sew in some elastic. Viola.
So -- how do you completely mess up something so easy? Get the wrong f*cking fabric.
I found it online and I was enamored. Of course, anyone worth their weight in sewing equipment will tell you that you need to feel the fabric before you buy it. But I wasn't thinking about that. All I thought was cherry blossoms -- pretty, pretty!
I should've known how insane this project would be after I realized I accidentally sewed the sleeves up.
So, I clipped, I hemmed the straps, I tried on again.
Lathered, rinsed, repeated -- still terrible, only with thinner straps.
So I tried one.more.time. And I made them thinner than I ever thought they were going to be. The upshot is that I got to trim the straps inwards toward the neck, a European style for dresses that I love but can never seem find in stores.
And then, I pinned, I hemmed, and it didn't matter how bad it looked. I was done with those straps. I didn't care if I looked like a homeless person mugged a transvestite. I was done.
Not what I was imagining when I started out, but, eh, live and learn (and learn your fabrics).